CAT S61, the mobile phone with HD thermal camera that sees through the dark and detects toxins in the air
The CAT S61 does not equip the latest Snapdragon 845. It also does not have a huge screen, but probably does not need it. Instead it is submersible, shockproof and has a HD thermal camera capable of viewing through the dark.
The S61 is the latest representative of a long line of Android smartphones designed for professionals or for survival enthusiasts. What’s new about the S1 is that its thermal camera has been significantly improved. To start, it now records in HD, a considerable step compared to the VGA resolution.
To continue, its FLIR sensor is much more sensitive. The previous model detected temperature differences of up to 120 degrees Celsius. The CAT S61 shoots that figure up to 400 degrees. In practice, it is so sensitive that it can detect living beings behind a wall or check if an electric cable is getting too hot.
As if this were not enough, the mobile also integrates an air quality sensor capable of detecting the concentration of certain chemicals in the air and trigger an alarm if that concentration reaches dangerous levels. In one of his demonstrations, the alarm would jump just by leaving the sensor next to a glue tube open for a few seconds.
For the rest, the specifications, it’s closer to the mid-range than to the top, but they are not bad:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 Octa core processor at 2.2 GHz
- 4GB of RAM and 64 storage expandable by MicroSD
- 5.2 inch screen 1920 x 1080
- Main camera of 16Mpx. Secondary camera of 8 with 4K video
- 4,500 mAh battery compatible with fast charging QC4.0
- FLIR Lepton HD thermal sensor
- Humidity and air quality sensor
- Laser sensor to measure distances of up to 10 m
- Chassis of aluminum resistant to falls of a meter on cement and submersible to meter and a half (IP68)
- Android Oreo upgradeable to P
The bad news is that, like all devices oriented to the engineering market, it will not be cheap. It cost $ 999 dollars (899 euros) and will go on sale in the second quarter of this same year.