Man livestreamed his own murder on Facebook 

Prentis Robinson, moments before dying in his own livestream

“My God, what happened,” commented a person on Facebook when Peter Robinson’s phone was staring up at the sky. The man from Wingate, North Carolina, had just broadcast live his own death through the platform he used to denounce the town traffickers.

Facebook immediately removed the video, but some users managed to capture it and upload it to other platforms such as LiveLeak, where it has been disseminated. In the broadcast, Robinson walks down Jemore Street, near the university campus of Wingate, while holding his mobile with a selfie stick. Then he meets someone who he asks to leave him alone. “You’re live,” he repeats several times, implying that the scene is being streamed on Facebook Live.

The camera manages to capture a man with a long object in his hands before several shots are fired. At that moment, Robinson’s phone falls to the floor and remains face up, recording a tree during the rest of the broadcast.

According to Charlotte Observer, police confirmed on Monday that Peter Robinson was shot to death. He had just come from the police station, where he had broadcast a live conversation with Chief Donnie Gay about a stolen phone. In the other video, Gay looks at Robinson’s camera and says: “Bring his phone back so he can get on with his way today,” The murder happened a few meters from the station.

After closing the university and Wingate elementary school for more than an hour in search of the shooter, police announced Monday night that he had identified Douglas Colson as a suspect. He is accused of first degree murder, and he is still missing.

Colson had been interrogated in the morning, however he was not under arrest at the time. Officials say they later discovered more information that led to the warrant for first-degree murder.

Officials also confirmed that Robinson was known in the town for exposing the alleged drug dealers in his Facebook live shows. The Gay police chief said he had warned him that he could get into trouble, but that he never thought that could lead to murder.

It is not the first time that Facebook crosses with death. Cases such as the murder of a 74-year-old man in Cleveland or the live suicide of a 12-year-old girl , which Facebook took two weeks to eliminate from their network, forced the company to hire 3000 human moderators who are in charge of Avoid spreading violent or sensitive content before it goes viral.


You must log in to post a comment




Password Reset

An email has been set with password reset instructions. If you do not see this email within a few minutes, check your spam folder.

Not Allowed

Your current user level does not allow voting. Please contact the site administrator to upgrade.


Prove your humanity: 8   +   5   =  

Submit A Story

Please login first