Some people think that search engine optimization (SEO) is based on a set of magical algorithms that are difficult to understand. They believe that the only way to succeed with SEO is to hire an agency to do the job, or use black hat methods such as keyword stuffing, spam comments or hidden text.
Due to the elusive reputation of SEO, many myths have emerged about how to rank well in search engines. But there is no magic method to achieve success overnight. SEO is a long-term and constantly evolving process. It takes time and work to keep you at the top of the search engines.
With this in mind, we have selected the four main myths and false beliefs about SEO. And not only do we discredit them, but we also offer you tips that will help you optimize your content for search engines.
Myth: The only way to get top position in search engines is to publish extensive content on my website.
Fact: While content length contributes to improving SEO positioning, there are a multitude of factors that contribute to constantly maintaining a good position in search engines. As can be the backlinks, the speed of the page or the user experience.
1. Determine what your target audience is looking for. You can use Google Trends to identify new markets, measure the popularity of your brand and examine the keywords your audience is looking for. In this way you will be able to create quality content.
2. To organize and scale this content for your audience, you can create a content strategy. A content strategy is a tangible and iterative plan that allows you to clearly define the process, schedule and interested parties necessary to create, coordinate and distribute your content. In this way it will be more attractive and consistent.
3. Search engines prefer domains that frequently publish new content because they indicate that the business is active and constantly appeals to consumers. You will have to publish original content or update the existing content on a regular basis. The original content attracts new customers and is often shared through social networks. While the updated content gives your loyal customers a reason to revisit the domain, spend more time on your website or explore additional pages.
4. Now that you have new or updated content, you should make sure that your audience can find it. Each page of your website must contain clear clues and techniques to help search engines classify them.
You can do this by creating a content map related to keywords. A content map is a list of all the keywords you plan to target compared to all the content you currently have on your website. A content map helps you fill in the gaps in the keywords in your content.
Myth: Excessive optimization of my keywords will cause my website to be penalized by search engines and will negatively affect my ranking.
Fact: Excessive optimization of your keywords, also known as keyword stuffing, is the practice of trying to position yourself in search engines by using several keywords that rank high in the search engines, regardless of whether they are related to your website or not. This practice could get you penalized. However, there are some ways to comply with the rules and maintain a good position in the search engines using the correct keywords.
1. Discover the best keywords for your audience and your business instead of focusing only on the highest ranking keywords. Make sure they are relevant to what your audience is looking for and to the mission of your business. There are many tools you can use to search for high-ranking keywords, such as SEMrush, Green Lotus Tools, Keyword Tool and SEO Rank Monitor.
2. Prioritizes the content on the keywords. You must focus on providing greater value to your audience by creating relevant and interesting content. While you make a draft, assign keywords to that content. This way, you’ll make sure you prioritize your audience and content instead of manipulating the content to fit the higher ranking keywords.
Myth: Collaboration with other websites through links, guests postings and mentions in social networks cannibalizes my marketing efforts. The collaborations distance visitors from my site and do not increase my SEO.
Fact: Your priority should be to educate your audience and offer the best possible information . In order to give your audience the best information, you may need to link to an authoritative website or invite a trusted author to your blog. The secondary benefits of linking or inviting a renowned author are to increase search traffic, validate the mission of your business and attract new affinity audiences and potential customers to your website.
1. The co-citation principle ensures that the websites you link to will strengthen the ranking of your search engine. Therefore, link only when necessary. Make sure you also not only link to safe and credible websites, but also to content that reinforces your articles.
2. The direct purchase of backlink is not very healthy. You must acquire backlinks naturally by creating and publishing content that others wish to participate in. Companies will want organically to link and talk about a website with attractive content.
3. Search engines do not use social media metrics directly in search rankings. But social commitment can have secondary benefits in your SEO efforts. Make sure you relate to the users and websites that you aspire to and that are related to the mission of your business. If these influential users share your page on social networks, you can experience a considerable increase in search traffic and brand awareness.
4. Domain name
Myth: A high level domain is the only way to occupy the highest position in search engines. Therefore, I can not have a high search ranking with a “.biz” or a “.guru”.
Fact: Yes, 98% of the search results are .com domain names. But it is important to keep in mind that keywords in the domain also greatly affect the rankings of search engines.
1. Make sure your domain is short, professional and memorable. Avoid domain names with numbers, many same characters or unusual spellings.
2. The domain name must also be relevant to your business. For example, if you name your website seotips.com, your audience will assume that your website is dedicated to sharing tips on search engine optimization.
3. If the name of your choice is not available, you can add a prefix, suffix or a hyphen. For example, in the case of seotips.com, you can opt for theseotips.com or seo-tips.net.
Get to work
There is no magic technique to creating an effective SEO strategy. It will take time and effort to keep you in a high position in the search engines. But with these tips you will be more prepared to increase your investment in SEO in the long term.
Remember, success in SEO requires commitment and consistency. Above all, you must ensure that your entire website, from the keywords to the domain name, provide value to your target audience and align with your business objectives.